How to reverse your mini fridge door
On this article
I still remember when I bought a new fridge when I moved into my new apartment. That was a few years ago, when I was still single and living in New York.
I decided to put my old mini fridge in my bedroom for easy access to my midnight snacks. (I know midnight snacks aren’t ‘’so healthy’’)
I had a little problem with doing that because the only place my mini fridge could fit in my bedroom made it impossible for me to open the door of my mini fridge. This will make anybody feel frustrated!
After reading my mini fridge’s manual and doing some internet research, I figured how I could adjust the door of my mini fridge.
This discovery brought me so much relief. Have you been wondering how to take a mini fridge door off and fix it on the other side? If yes, I’d love to show you how on this article.
What does reversible door mean for a mini fridge?
It means reversing the door of your fridge so you can easily access the contents of your mini fridge.
Reversing the door of your fridge should not take you more than 25 minutes. I’ll show you how to swap your mini fridge door in 10 clear steps!
This article also answers the question on how to switch the door on your Danby mini fridge.
Before you attempt reversing the door of your mini fridge, you should check your fridge’s users’ manual to be sure if you mini fridge allows this reverse.
What to do before you attempt reversing the door of your mini fridge
- Unplug your Fridge. You should do this to avoid burning more electricity while your fridge is on, and also to prevent overheating and shutting off of the compressor. This also reduces the risk of an electric shock.
- Empty the shelves of your fridge. You don’t want your food items such as eggs, jars, and cans placed on the door shelves of the fridge to fall over and make a mess on the floor while you take the door off.
Tools needed to adjust your mini fridge’s door
You will need some tools to carry out this task. They are common household tools. No stress.
- A ratchet wrench. You will need this to loosen and tighten bolts and secure the ends of screws
- A Philips-head screwdriver to loosen and remove plastic coverings. It is also advisable to get a clean space. A bowl or tray will suffice. You’ll need the bowl or tray to keep parts you unscrew so you don’t end up misplacing them.
How to swap your mini fridge’s door. Step by step guide
- If your mini fridge has a cover cap on its hinge, start by removing the hinge cover cap on your fridge’s door. This is an easy step. There’s usually a plastic covering over the hinge on top of your mini fridge. You should use a flat-head screwdriver to remove it.
- Next step is to remove the screws holding the hinge. Use your Philips-head screwdriver to loosen and remove the screws holding the hinge in place. You should remember to put the screws in a safe place (tray or bowl) so you don’t lose them.
- Remove the top hinge and door of your fridge. You should use your ratchet wrench to remove the top hinge. This shouldn’t give you much stress since you have the screws removed already. You should hold the door well while removing the hinge so it doesn’t fall off. You can use your hip or knee to hold it.If that feels rather inconvenient, you should get someone to hold it for you. Then, carefully lift off the door from the pin of the lower hinge. Keep the door of the fridge where it won’t slip to prevent damage.
- Remove the screw-hole plugs and reinsert them. You should notice some plugs where you want to fix the door of the fridge. Remove those plugs on the opposite side of the fridge using your flathead screwdriver and insert these plugs in the screw-hole openings where you removed the hinge.
- Remove screws and lower hinge bracket. You should loosen and remove the screws holding the lower hinge bracket below the fridge. Remove the lower hinge bracket too. You should check if your fridge has more than one lower hinge and remove the extras.
- Change the position of the lower hinge. On the opposite side of your fridge, you should reattach the bracket and screw the hinge back in. Make sure you tighten it properly so it wouldn’t dissemble after a particular time.
- Replace the door of the fridge. Lift your mini fridge’s door back onto the lower hinge pin. You should ensure it is mounted on properly and held it firmly.
- Remove the handle of your mini fridge and fix it on the new side where you’ll be opening your fridge from. You should also remove the logo of your fridge and swap it on the other side of your fridge.
- Reattach the top hinge on the fridge. Just as when you loosened it, you should reattach the top hinge exactly as it was on the opposite side of the fridge and screw it tightly.
- You should replace the hinge cap, and put the plastic covering back over the top hinge on top of the fridge, and you’re done!
I guess that was quite straightforward! If you carry out these steps as I have described them, you will be able to successfully reverse the door of your mini fridge.
I hope you found this article helpful, and you now know how to adjust your mini fridge’s door without any hassle. You don’t have to worry about where you will put your mini fridge anymore! Hooray!!
There are many models of mini fridges with their peculiarities. There may be some slightly different procedures for reversing the doors of some fridges, but they all work on the same basic steps I described earlier.
If you still find it difficult to reverse the door of your fridge, I recommend you check your fridge’s manual for better understanding or consult a technician.
The Danby 120-Can Beverage Center is an extremely useful beverage fridge that will satisfy the most avid of soda (or beer) drinkers.
I’ve reviewed the 7 most quiet mini fridges and included a few tips to minimize its noise.
Easily workout how many watts your fridge uses and how much you are paying for it with our energy calculator